- Picturebook PCG-1X
- VAIO digital Studio PCV-E308DS
- Customer support the most clueless in the industry
- Lots of proprietary hardware
- No upgrade path: If you upgrade Windows, none of the apps required to
run the fancy, proprietary hardware will run because they no longer
recognize the PC as being a Sony machine. Further, upgrading to Linux
also cuts off access to the proprietary hardware.
- Sony repair services is incompetent. The Picturebook started with two
faults: random crashing and a mouse pointer that would start drifting due
to a Trackpoint problem. On the first multi-week trip to the repair
center, only the drifting pointer was fixed. On the second multi-week
trip, the random crashes were fixed, but the TRACKPOINT WAS BROKEN
AGAIN. I didn't chance a third trip.
- Did I mention the proprietary hardware and software that locks you into
exactly the OS that shipped with the PC? What about security updates
after Microsoft doesn't support that OS any more?
- Fancy, slick packaging, sometimes with features you can't find elsewhere.